[Kstars-devel] Re: Poor quality of data in kstars main catalog?

Akarsh Simha akarshsimha at gmail.com
Sun Apr 10 19:52:43 CEST 2011

On Sun, Apr 10, 2011 at 11:18:21PM +0530, keerthi kiran wrote:
> Hi all,
> I am new to this group. But reading this post I wonder
> what catalogs Stellarium and Cartes use. Cant we use the same catalogs? They
> must be available under GPL right?

AFAIK, both Stellarium and Cartes (Cartes for sure) use the Saguaro
Astronomy Club catalog. SAC is not under GPL, but it is under very
free licensing terms -- "Use it as you wish, as long as you don't sell
the catalog alone as a separate entity". [I have verified this from
the author.]

I've just been lazy to replace the NGC / IC catalog we have with the
SAC catalog, but I did merge the data from SAC into our NGC/IC catalog
IIRC.