[Kstars-devel] Re: Getting Started

Alexey Khudyakov alexey.skladnoy at gmail.com
Fri Apr 8 19:34:55 CEST 2011

On 08.04.2011 16:31, Laudis Radium wrote:
> Hi All,
> Thanks a lot for the help. Now I have modified ~/.bashrc and ~/.gitconfig
> And Alexey's instructions worked well.
>
> After installing and running kstars, I found the following.
> 1. If I use QPainter, the software runs very slow (hangs). OpenGL mode
> works fine. I have kept star density very low (about 10%)

Does application becomes totally unresponsive (e.g. do not redraws menus
if resized) or just very slow? On low zoom slowest part is drawing of
corrdinate grid and constellation borders.

> 2. In OpenGL mode, stars looked very weird. After running *sudo apt-get
> install libglu1-mesa-dev freeglut3-dev mesa-common-dev*, stars look
> better. But there is still issues with textures.

Welcome to the world of poor suport of video cards. First thing to blame
is video driver. What is your video card? And what following command
outputs:

$ glxinfo | grep -i direct