[Kstars-devel] About packaging kstars downloadable data

Noel David Torres Taño envite at rolamasao.org
Mon Sep 20 23:27:56 CEST 2010

Hello:

I'm Noel Torres, kstars long time user, and I want to make packages to ease
install of the data that kstars actually downloads from the net.

Actually, kstars users can download pieces like the Tycho 2 catalog from the
web in an automated way, but each user in a shared computer gets its own copy
of the file, thus wasting bandwisth and disk space.

I'm in the task of packaging those data for Debian, to allow a centrallized,
one time only install (and one time only update in each actualization you make
on the datafiles). I've started with precisely the Tycho 2 catalog datafile, but
I want to continue with all the 9 pieces of downloadable data.

The point is that I've bee pointed a possible problem with the license: in
http://edu.kde.org/kstars/downloads/knewstuff.xml it is stated that the datafile
is GPL, but as far as I know the Tycho 2 catalog itself is not free.

Do you have a statement (from Mr. Erik Høg or from ESA allowing to use the
catalog) that I can include in my package?

Many thanks

Noel Torres
er Envite

MORE INFO: