[Kstars-devel] User questions: star size on screen and observation log

Ron Bentley rtbentley at gmail.com
Mon Sep 6 21:42:42 CEST 2010

Two questions about the KStars interface (KStars 1.5.3, Ubuntu 9.10):

1.  Can I adjust the size of stars represented on the screen?  Even
zoomed in, magnitude 7-8 stars render with a single pixel.  It's hard to
distinguish them from dust on the screen and from nearby (often far
dimmer) deep sky objects.

(Question came up observing M92.  M92 is brighter than surrounding
stars, but all other nearby deep sky objects are dimmer.)

2.  Is there any access to the observation log outside the details
dialog for an object?  Or, is ~/.kde/share/apps/kstars/userlog.dat just
the place to go?

I've played around with KStars for years, but finally used it for the
first time during an observing session.  Many thanks to developers and
maintainers alike.

Defining my own field-of-view symbol was a real boon.  Stopping the
clock and seeing that it wasn't running the CPU full speed and draining
my netbook battery like other planetarium software was a bonus.

Ron Bentley