[Kstars-devel] Re: KStars in Google Code-In?

Victor Carbune victor.carbune at gmail.com
Wed Oct 27 20:29:59 CEST 2010

Hi Akarsh,

What about translation? I'm not very familiar, but is there anything
missing on having KStars completely localized?

KStars has a lot of useful algorithms already, but are there any other
astronomical algorithm we want to see checked in?
Having students implementing specific astronomical algorithms, could
be a set of several medium 1 week tasks.

>> What is the current status of the old AstroInfo project [1] ?
>> I think a task could be to add new definitions and describe how they
>> appear within KStars (and revive the AstroInfo project itself ?).
>
> Yes. I think that's a good idea, for a 1 ~ 1.5 or even 2 week task. We
> can say we specifically request for certain articles.
Let's proceed like this then, specifying some exact articles, within each task.
Why do you think 1.5 or 2 weeks are required? Let's divide it several
smaller tasks (2-3), at most one week each.

What precise ideas for articles do you have?
A very theoretical one, missing, would be about stellar evolution
(implying the HR Diagram, which isn't anywhere).
Star hoping as an astronomical technique or algorithms in CS (you
mentioned some time ago you implemented one, right?)

>> Another idea would be a PDF guide for teachers who want to use KStars
>> in a classroom at school or astronomy club.
>
> That's a very good idea too. I guess Jasem would have very interesting
> inputs here?
I think we can already add this one. It's an easy one, since the
AstroInfo project has a lot of neat articles that can be combined, so
the main request from the student will be to come with a creative
structure of the article (from basic concepts explained within KStars
to more advanced algorithms available as modules).

> Hmm, yes. Maybe we could work together some time during a weekend and
> learn it?
Yes, there are also other KDE projects that have a testing framework set up.
Looking into this in more detail.

As we discussed, we need to write as well the fastest way to compile
KStars from sources (a refreshed documentation).
Let's use the advantage we have, students can learn astronomy and
write code in the same time.

Victor