[Kstars-devel] Re: About packaging kstars data files

Akarsh Simha akarshsimha at gmail.com
Wed Nov 3 01:24:14 CET 2010

Hi Noel,

> Thanks for the work. It is enough for me, and I hope it will be for Debian,
> since data are named as "public domain". Anyway I will personally check the
> ReadMe file. I will send this to them and I will keep you in touch.
>
> Do this work as well to the USNO NOMAD catalog?
>
> Thanks again

Thanks for bringing this up and ensuring it's solved.

USNO is "used with permission". Here's an excerpt from Jason's mail on
June 30th 2008 to this mailing list:

"I heard back from Norbert Zacharias at USNO.  He's going to send me a
subset of the NOMAD composite catalog using the criteria:

(is a 2MASS star) AND ( V <= 16.5 OR R <= 16.0 OR B <= 16.0)

which he thinks will yield ~100 million stars (FYI, 2MASS is an all-
sky near-infrared survey).

The data will be shipped to me on a few DVDs.  I'll then process them
(assigning HD numbers and star names), zip it up, and make it
available to Akarsh."

HTH :)

Would you have any suggestions on how we should indicate these in the
README? Since you're from Debian, you probably know about this best!
:D