[Kstars-devel] KDE/kdeedu/kstars/kstars/skyobjects

Akarsh Simha akarshsimha at gmail.com
Mon Jun 28 21:13:30 CEST 2010

On Mon, Jun 28, 2010 at 07:17:57PM +0200, Alexey Khudyakov wrote:
> SVN commit 1143779 by khudyakov:
>
> Add functions to calculate refraction corrections to SkyPoint.
>
> Old code used lookup tables and linear interpolation to calculate
> corrections. Now code just calculate correctionusing formula.
> Optimizations could be added if needed.
>
> Correctted altitude is continous which means that gap will
> not appear.
>
> Reverce corrections are calculated by solving equation
> > h' = h + deltaH(h) iteratively
> This is acceptable from performance PoV. unrefract isn't
> called in loops. It's robust since it doesn't depend on details
> of refract implementation
>
> Also function which returns refracted altitude is added to SkyPoint
> CCMAIL: kstars-devel at kde.org

Wow! This is pretty interesting. Where did you get a continuous
formula? Did you fit a smooth curve to the tables?

There was a rather annoying bug related to the use of lookup tables,
which was related to the behaviour of objectNearest at high zoom with
refract on. I don't recall the details, but it was because unrefract
and refract weren't exact inverses of each other. This should fix the
problem, then!