[Kstars-devel] Summer of KDE Project for KStars

Alexey Khudyakov alexey.skladnoy at gmail.com
Mon Jun 14 21:14:58 CEST 2010

On Tue, 15 Jun 2010 00:18:27 +0530
Prakash Mohan <prak902000 at gmail.com> wrote:

> > IMHO creation of a schedule is much more difficult task. And in this
> > case almost impossible. Probably creation of tool which shows time when
> > objects are avalaible and some tools for manual scheduling would be
> > very nice. Personally I'd like to have such tool.
>
> Hmm, this seems more reasonable. We can start with the manual
> scheduling, and _if_ we come up with an algorithm to set the times, we
> can implement this. But I think we could come-up with atleast a better
> model than setting the default time as the transit time.
>
> For now, we do have the tools for manual scheduling in the Observing
> List, but it displays only the rise and set times. This could be a
> starting point for scheduling business.

Yes that's exactly my point. And it's not possible to avoid manual
schduling. Algorithm cannot take into account things like "Good gods! I
just spent an hour to find that galaxy"

> > Also currently data model in kstars is under major rewamping by Victor
> > Carbune. You may want to see recent discussions on the list and in
> > Victor's blog[1].
>
> Will that affect this problem? All we would require is alt-vs-time for
> objects to be observed right?

I don't think so. Basically only function which calculates time
intervalss when object is visible is needed. It's more difficult than
alt-vs-time but