[Kstars-devel] Summer of KDE Project for KStars

Brad Rougeau brad.rougeau at gmail.com
Mon Jun 14 13:28:22 CEST 2010

 Oops, sorry about that. I sent an uncompleted draft. Here's the full
message:

Hi everyone,

I've been talking to Prakash recently about a project I'm going to work on
over the summer for KStars, and I just wanted to let everyone know what I'm
doing. The basic idea is that a user will input the objects that they wish
to see, a time period, the type of telescope they are using, and possibly
some other data and the user will be presented with a list of the objects in
the best order to view them. Some factors that will be used to create the
ordered list will be the brightness of the object, rising and setting times
for that object, closeness to other listed objects or bright objects that
might hinder viewing, effective viewing horizon, the type of telescope being
used, and any other data that the user has given as input. So far, I have
looked at the KStars code a bit to see how all the objects are stored and
started to look at how I can use the data already stored for each object and
that sort of thing, but haven't started coding yet. I was hoping that you
guys might be able to suggest some other factors that the user could input
or that I might need to consider in creating the list. I'm definitely not an
astronomy expert (mostly interested in this project for the coding
involved) so any useful astronomy information that you think I might need
for this project would also be very helpful. Also just interested to hear
any comments you might have about this project.

Looking forward to working with you all,
Brad Rougeau