[Kstars-devel] Ephemeris engine?

Alexey Khudyakov alexey.skladnoy at gmail.com
Thu Jul 1 18:24:14 CEST 2010

On Wed, Jun 30, 2010 at 10:17 PM, Daniel-Marian Baboiu
<daniel.baboiu at shaw.ca> wrote:
> I'm starting to look into eclipse prediction for kstars, although I
> won't start actual coding in less than 3 weeks. I had a project a few
> years ago, concerning Moon eclipses, and I had some success - my
> prediction for contacts and maximum phase were within a few minutes (~3)
> from published values. For Sun eclipses and star occultations, it is
> more complicated - simply looking for conjunctions won't do.
>
> So, the first step is to understand what is the ephemeris engine behind
> kstars?

I don't really know but I suppose that algorithms was taken from book
"Astronomical Algorithms" by Jean Meeus. It's possible that you are
most knowledgeable person here  when it comes to ephemerids

Code for ephemerids calculation is located in files:
  - skyobject/ksplanetbase.*
  - skyobject/ksplanet.* for big planets
  - skyobject/ks{sun,moon}* for Sun and Moon

Feel free to ask if have problems.