[Kstars-devel] KStars & scripting

Khudyakov Alexey alexey.skladnoy at gmail.com
Wed Feb 10 22:51:22 CET 2010

Hello everyone.

Here is some thoughts about kstars scripting, rants, problems, possible
solutions.

Lets start from ScriptBuider. It is a tool for building scripts from GUI. It
doesn't support even conditionals and loops. Only sequencing of operations.
I'd call this totally useless. Recent example of Yiannis Belias showed that it
is case. He had to return to old trusty text editor.

Also Themis Oraiop found couple of bugs in builder. I think it support
that it is deserted part of KStars no one really care about.

Kstars has option to execute scripts created by script builder without using
external interpreter. It doesn't support conditionals and loops. And therefore
completely useless tool too.

So far we have two useless components. What should we do with them. First I
want to say that we are not in business of writing IDEs or interpreters. It
better to use other tools to do all work.

Scripts are using D-bus to communicate with kstars. Therefore I propose to
clean up current D-bus interface and document it. Latter part is most
important. It's not possible to write scripts when interface is unknown.

After that both script builder should and code for script execution should be
removed. They are maintenance burden.

Your opinions on the matter?

--
  Khudyakov Alexey