[Kstars-devel] Re: Fwd: Fwd: star catalog

Noel David Torres Taño envite at rolamasao.org
Fri Dec 10 11:49:47 CET 2010

On Viernes 10 Diciembre 2010 10:03:12 usted escribió:
> Hi Noel, Jason
>
> @Jason: If you wouldn't mind, could you scroll down to the place where
> 	I say "I'm copying to Jason" and confirm the validity of my
> 	claims?
>
> > So, please correct me, the legal state (to Tycho2) is:
> >
> > Files: deepstars.dat
> > Copyright: 2008 Akarsh Simha <kstars-devel at kde.org>, Jason Harris
> > <kstars- devel at kde.org>
> > License: GPL
> > Urban, T. Corbin, G. Wycoff, U. Bastian, P. Schwekendiek, and A. Wicenec
> >
> >                            1997 ESA

> > or must I delete X-Original-Data-Copyright and X-Reference and add
> > something like

> Could you possibly keep both?

Yes, I can have as many X- lines as needed

> Also, isn't it public domain by NASA (and not ESA/Høg?)

Tycho2 catalogue data is based on observations by the ESA Hipparcos satellite
from 1989 to 1993 (Erik Høg article) and proper motions included in the
catalogue are derived from these observations and other 143 catalogues. So,
the original data are copyright of the ESA Hipparcos mission, not USNO nor
NASA, and the 'cooked' data are copyright Høg et al (or their institutions,
namely CUO, USNO, ARI and ESO).

> AFAIK, we used data from the NASA ADC, whose policies are here:
> http://web.archive.org/web/20070303235508/http://adc.astro.umd.edu/adc/ques
> tions_feedback.html#policies1 for Tycho-2 and that's what deepstars.dat was
> built out of.

I can not access ADC, but I suposse CDS's Readme is the same since
http://cdsweb.u-strasbg.fr/hipparcos.html says ADC is a mirror of CDS. Since
there is no relevant info in the Readme, this should imply one of
a) ADC has no permission to publish Tycho2 as PD
b) ADC has permission (either explicit or implicit) to publish Tycho2 as PD

Assuming the second means that at some point, ESA and Høg give their
copyrights out.

> The Tycho-2 catalog itself was available there, and since it was hosted by
> the ADC,
> http://web.archive.org/web/20060908122029/adc.astro.umd.edu/cgi-bin/adc/ca
> t.pl?/catalogs/1/1259/ the policy must be applicable to Tycho-2 as well.

True, but read my last sentences

> So maybe we should say "(c) Erik Høg et al.", but then mention
> "Public Domain according to <NASA ADC citation>"?

I think that would be the way, but mentioning ESA too

> When USNO's data was obtained, Jason matched the Tycho-2 stars were
> matched against the NASA ADC Tycho-2, and got rid of them from the
> USNO, and sent me the rest of the USNO data for creating the binary
> files. So for the USNO catalog (USNO-NOMAD-1e8.dat), the mail I just
> forwarded applies.

Good news :) but that menas (being scary) that Tycho2 data was used in the
compilation of KStars' USNO... better don't think on that

> > Moreover, the data you used to compile deepstars.dat does come from the
> > published Tycho2 catalogue (copyright Erik H?g et al) or directly from
> > raw USNO data?
>
> I think it comes from the Tycho-2. As I said, Jason sent me Tycho-2
> data first, before he got any data from USNO, and sieved out Tycho-2
> stars from the NOMAD. I'm copying to Jason to see if he can correct
> me.
>
> > That is, should I cite H?g or ESA or just USNO? I must confess I'm a bit
> > lost, since the Tycho2 name suggests citing H?g and ESA.
>
> I think we should cite Høg and ESA, but mention that it is public
> domain by NASA ADC citation.

Agree

> > > The NGC/IC data is partially from the SAC catalog, which I've again
> > > used with permission. The license on the SAC catalog says "This is not
> > > suitable for commercial use", but we are GPL-ed, so I wrote a mail
> > > asking about this. The response was approximately that "This was
> > > stated with the intention that it should not be sold separately. For
> > > use with a program, it's fine.". Let me know if you need that. I think
> > > you probably don't, because that's shipped with KStars by default
> > > anyway!
> >
> > That's work for another Debian maintainer ;) but as soon as this is
> > settled for Tycho2 I will contact him in order to be sure.
>
> Oh! I don't think this is an issue. Don't bother. I specified this
> detail in the data file itself (it's an ASCII file)
>
> > > Thanks a ton! I'm sure this will be very useful to Debian + KStars
> > > users (I'm one of them, although I use trunk! :D)
> > >
> > > Regards
> > > Akarsh
> >
> > No no, thanks to you for your understanding abou how hard this can be
>
> Well, it is important to keep these things absolutely clean. I'm very
> sorry I haven't been concentrating on KStars in the past. Hopefully,
> I'll be able to spend a lot of time on it in December!
>
> Regards
> Akarsh

So let's do this this way:

Files: deepstars.dat
Copyright: 2008 Akarsh Simha <kstars-devel at kde.org>, Jason Harris <kstars-
devel at kde.org>
from NASA ADC whose policy is PD, as stated in
http://web.archive.org/web/20060908122029/adc.astro.umd.edu/cgi-
bin/adc/cat.pl?/catalogs/1/1259/)
License: GPL

Hope it is true and ok for everybody this way

Noel
er Envite