[Kstars-devel] Re: Fwd: Fwd: star catalog

Akarsh Simha akarshsimha at gmail.com
Fri Dec 10 10:12:30 CET 2010

>> So, it is that both Tycho-2 and NOMAD are PD with citation, isn't it?
>
> Effectively, yes! At least for use with KStars.

Actually, that's probably not enough for you. Yes, they are public
domain, according to the citations we have.

The NGC/IC data is partially from the SAC catalog, which I've again
used with permission. The license on the SAC catalog says "This is not
suitable for commercial use", but we are GPL-ed, so I wrote a mail
asking about this. The response was approximately that "This was
stated with the intention that it should not be sold separately. For
use with a program, it's fine.". Let me know if you need that. I think
you probably don't, because that's shipped with KStars by default
anyway!

Thanks a ton! I'm sure this will be very useful to Debian + KStars
users (I'm one of them, although I use trunk! :D)