[Kstars-devel] Re: Blue KStars!

Akarsh Simha akarshsimha at gmail.com
Mon Dec 6 00:10:04 CET 2010

On Mon, Dec 06, 2010 at 01:21:25AM +0300, Jasem Mutlaq wrote:
>    Hello,
>
>    I'm using KStars from SVN TRUNK, and I'm getting a blue opaque horizon,
>    and blue stars. The Sun does not only appear as blue, but squarish blue as
>    well. Anyone working on this? How about infoboxes + openGL? any solution
>    to that?

Hi Jasem

Yes, this looks like the infoboxes + openGL problem. I don't know
about all stars being blue. The Sun definitely is squarish blue. But
you should have red stars too...

And yes, I'll be working on it starting December 15th, after my exams
are over. That gives me roughly a month through the Beta and RC
releases, to fix it.

But I'd be glad if someone else could start working on it as well.

My backup plan would be to ship the GL mode as "alpha" or whatever,
disabled by default, but can be turned on by users who want speed over
these conveniences and who want to test and report bugs. But of
course, for this, we must first get runtime switching between OpenGL
and QPainter backends working. I have an idea of how we might go about
doing it -- make the non-drawing parts of SkyMap into a class that's a
QGraphicsView, and depending on the painting backend chosen, we either
paint with a class that draws using GL, or a class that uses the usual
QPainter. I don't see many alternative routes, but I'd be glad to get
some suggestions.