[Kstars-devel] Cities.dat corrections

Burkhard Lück lueck at hube-lueck.de
Mon Sep 7 11:48:04 CEST 2009

Am Sonntag 06 September 2009 17:41:19 schrieb Khudyakov Alexey:
> В сообщении от 06 сентября 2009 12:32:45 автор Burkhard Lück написал:
> > Argh, you are both right, english spelling should be here.
> >
> > Mu"nchen and Ko"ln should be "Munich" and "Cologne", but what about
> > german cities with umlauts (ÜÄÖ)?
> >
> > Found these german cities in Cities.dat:
> >
> > Düsseldorf,Gütersloh,Lübeck,Meuselbach-Schwarzmühle,Mülheim,Münster,Nürnb
> >er g, Osnabrück,Saarbrücken,Würzburg.
> >
> > Markranstät,Meiän,Mengersgereuth-Hämern,Mieäste
> >
> > Gönsdorf,Göttingen,Mönchengladbach
> >
> > http://en.wikipedia.org spells all of them - if known - with Umlauts,
> > just with one exception: Nürnberg is spelled Nuremberg.
> >
> > So what is the reference spelling? http://en.wikipedia.org?
>
> AFAIK diacritical signs are used in English on some occasions. So I think
>  it's OK to left then as it is. (Nuremberg should be corrected)

corrected Nuremberg.

There are two strange german entries in Cities.dat:

Furth (Mfr) :  : Germany  : 49 : 28 : 58 : N :  11 : 58 : 58
Freudenberg is the next city to 49° 28' 58"/11° 58' 58"

"MFr" could be an abbreviation for Mittelfranken, but I am not shure.
Maybe this could be "Fürth" with u" (umlaut)?
Fürth in Mittelfranken is 49° 29′ N, 10° 59′ O

H. List  : : Germany  : 50 :  9 :  8 : N :   6 : 51 :  0
no idead what "H." could be,, but there is no city named List near this
geocode.

I have used http://www.netzwelt.de/geocoding/index.html for address to
lat/long and http://www.mapquest.de/mq/maps/mapInput.do for lat/long to
address and the german wikipedia.

I would advise to remove these two entries, better no entry than a wrong one.

--
Burkhard Lück