[Kstars-devel] Tycho-2 Star catalog lacking Stars?

Lukas Middendorf lukas.middendorf at freenet.de
Sun Oct 25 12:22:07 CET 2009

Hi,

I'm trying to identify stars on a photograph of M29 and its surrounding and
have recognized, that many stars seem to be missing. I have both the Tycho-2
and the USNO NOMAD catalogs installed and set star density to a high value,
the stars are really missing (superimposed a transparent window of KStars on
the photograph).
M29 is not recognizable in KStars when compared to any photograph and also in
the surrounding some "bright" stars are missing.

All missing stars seem to have a magnitude between 8 and 9.5 (according to
stellarium). There are some stars with this magnitudes in the area, so not all
of them are missing, but roughly estimated about a quarter of them is missing.

Are they also missing in the original catalog, or did you lose them in the
conversion process for KStars?

Regards,
Lukas