[Kstars-devel] KDE/kdeedu/kstars/kstars/tools

Burkhard Lück lueck at hube-lueck.de
Sat Oct 10 19:21:46 CEST 2009

Am Samstag 10 Oktober 2009 16:19:41 schrieb Prakash Mohan:
> > From a translators pov this seems to be a strange usage of i18np. How
> > should this be translated properly?
> >
> > Can you please explain?
> > Please give an example of a singular and plural string.
>
> I think there seems to a mistake in the i18np call here. IIUC we're
> supposed to check for the number of hours as a 'number' and not a
> 'string'. Will that help running the translations smoothly?

Afaik there are 5 different states in this string, list them here with the
german wording translated literally to english:

1) Night Duration: <=00:00
"Object does not set" or "No set" or "Always above horizon"

2) Night Duration: 00:yy with 01 < yy < 60
"yy minutes"

3) Night Duration: 01:yy
"01 hour 01 minute" + "01 hour yy minutes"
(singular/singular + singular/plural)

4) Night Duration: xx:yy with xx > 1
"xx hours 01 minute" + "xx hours yy minutes"
(plural/singular + plural/plural)

5) Night Duration: >= 24:00
"Object does not rise" or "No rise" or "Always below horizon"

But in any case german it not the only language in kde, other may have
different needs for a good translation.
So please mail to the translators list kde-i18n-doc at kde.org and ask how to do
this properly.

Btw playing with this dialog in trunk I see these strange values:
Kiruna, Sweden, Fri 03.July 2009
Sunrise: does not rise
Sunset: does not rise
Night Duration: 24:00 hours