[Kstars-devel] "Devices" menu missing?

Jonathan Tomshine jtomshine at gmail.com
Sat Nov 28 15:34:48 CET 2009

Hmm, macports versions are sometimes a bit behind.  I'm not sure where
the current releases are at, but the "About" box is reporting kstars
version 1.5.3 and KDE 4.3.3, and those are current as far as macports
is concerned.

Also, the comment "#" in front of the line is my own typing -- the
version that I found in the source distribution was not commented out.
 It evaluated false on OSX, so the subsequent code (which checks for
indi) never ran, thus the configure stage didn't find indi, and, well,
you get the rest...

It's also possible that the macports port-maintainer has tinkered with
the source distribution somehow to make it configure & compile better
on OSX -- that happens too sometimes.  In any case, the CMakeLists.txt
file that ships with the macports source distribution
(../kdeedu-4.3.3/kstars/CMakeLists.txt) is the following:

---------------------

project(kstars)
KDE4_NO_ENABLE_FINAL(kstars)

# some configure checks needed for kstars
include(CheckIncludeFiles)

macro_optional_find_package(CFitsio)
macro_bool_to_01(CFITSIO_FOUND HAVE_CFITSIO_H)
macro_log_feature(CFITSIO_FOUND "libcfitsio0" "A library for reading
and writing data files in FITS (Flexible Image Transport System) data
format" "http://indi.sf.net" FALSE "3.09" "Gives KStars support for
FITS images.")

# INDI is a Linux-specific addon
IF(${CMAKE_SYSTEM_NAME} STREQUAL "Linux")
macro_optional_find_package(INDI)
macro_bool_to_01(INDI_FOUND HAVE_INDI_H)
macro_log_feature(INDI_FOUND "libindi" "A framework for controlling
astronomical devices such as telescopes, CCDs, filter wheels..etc."
"http://indi.sf.net" FALSE "0.6" "Gives KStars support for controlling
astronomical devices.")
ENDIF(${CMAKE_SYSTEM_NAME} STREQUAL "Linux")

check_include_files(linux/videodev2.h HAVE_LINUX_VIDEODEV2_H)
check_include_files(termios.h TERMIOS_FOUND)
macro_bool_to_01(TERMIOS_FOUND HAVE_TERMIOS_H)

macro_optional_find_package(Xplanet)
macro_bool_to_01(XPLANET_FOUND HAVE_XPLANET)
macro_log_feature(XPLANET_FOUND "XPlanet" "Renders an image of all the
major planets and most satellites" "http://xplanet.sourceforge.net/"
FALSE "1.0" "Gives KStars support for xplanet.")

include_directories(${CMAKE_CURRENT_BINARY_DIR})
configure_file(${CMAKE_CURRENT_SOURCE_DIR}/config-kstars.h.cmake
${CMAKE_CURRENT_BINARY_DIR}/config-kstars.h )

add_subdirectory( kstars )

---------------------

-Jon

On Sat, Nov 28, 2009 at 3:33 AM, Jasem Mutlaq <mutlaqja at ikarustech.com> wrote:
>>...so, just on a whim, I tried disabling the linux check in kstars'
>>CMakeLists.txt:
>>
>>#IF(${CMAKE_SYSTEM_NAME} STREQUAL "Linux")
>>and recompiled.  In looking at the output of the configure stage, it
>
> Which KDE & KStars version are you using? I can't find this line in SVN
> HEAD:
>
> http://websvn.kde.org/trunk/KDE/kdeedu/kstars/kstars/CMakeLists.txt?revision
> =1045114&view=markup
>
> I think it is possible to support mounts and a few other devices under OSX,
> but several drivers are specifically Linux-only.
>
> Regards,
> Jasem

Jonathan Tomshine, PhD
Postdoctoral Scientist