[Kstars-devel] "Devices" menu missing?

Jonathan Tomshine jtomshine at gmail.com
Fri Nov 27 06:50:36 CET 2009

Although I haven't tested it yet with real hardware (my
INDI-compatible mount is in another state), I've gotten INDI to
configure & build okay on OSX, and xephem (also installed through
Macports) connects to the INDI daemon okay.  Whether it can control a
mount through a USB/serial port is another question, I suppose -- one
that I can't answer at the moment.

If it's known that INDI fails to work with a Mac's USB ports, is it
known what the reason for this failure is?  Perhaps I could take a
stab at fixing it, if it's just something that hasn't been worked on
yet.  On the other hand, if INDI can *never* run on OSX for some
fundamental reason, then perhaps not, but I suspect that it should be
possible to make it work.  I've controlled my temma mount from my mac
before -- just not with INDI.

-Jon

On Thu, Nov 26, 2009 at 1:26 PM, Jasem Mutlaq <mutlaqja at ikarustech.com> wrote:
>>Of course kstars is designed for linux machines, but it's also
>>available to OSX users through the "kdeedu4" macport. I'm not sure how
>>many other people use it like this, but I've noticed that the
>>"Devices" menu (and hence any ability to control an INDI hardware
>>setup) is entirely missing:
>>
>>http://www.jshine.net/plogger/plog-content/images/misc/temp/screen-capture-
> 1.png
>>
>>I'm not sure if this is something that is unique to Macs -- I don't
>>have a linux machine with X handy.  Any suggestions?
>
> INDI library only works under Linux. You can't find the "Devices" menu under
> any other operating system.
>
> Regards,
> Jasem

Jonathan Tomshine, PhD