[Kstars-devel] SkyMap surprise (Quaternions are not used in fact)

Khudyakov Alexey alexey.skladnoy at gmail.com
Thu Nov 5 23:27:20 CET 2009

Hello

I just found out that quaternions are not used in KStars code. Only place
where function SkyMap::toScreenQuaternion is referenced is debug code and it's
only user of quaternion related stuff.

However these unused quaternions are not free at all. Each SkyPoint contain
its quaternion representation (16 bytes wasted) and keeps it in sync which
means wasted CPU cycles. (involve relatively costly trigonometric functions)

Therefore I propose to remove quaternion-related code from KStars completely.

--
  Khudyakov Alexey