[Kstars-devel] What's up tonight - Speed issues

Prakash Mohan prak902000 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 26 18:59:59 CEST 2009

Hey,
In the What's up tonight dialog, certain categories take too long to
load ( >5 or >10 seconds). I've seen this problem earlier when I tried
to create an "all objects" list for the observation planner where it
took over 20 seconds to do similar stuff which the WUT does. Any idea
on what might consume this long a time? (Also I'm using a small
catalog, I wonder what would happen if use the USNO/Nomad catalog).
As I see it, in the WUT dialog, we're calling of every component in
the skyComposite, doing a foreach on the selected category, cast to
SkyObject if needed and then do a couple of O(1) queries, so, the
trouble might be due to the usage of "foreach" instead of the
conventional for loop, or due to some other larger error in
skyComposite or the casts to SkyObject.

Cheers,
Prakash

--