[Kstars-devel] USNO NOMAD Catalog

Akarsh Simha akarshsimha at gmail.com
Mon Jan 5 17:58:17 CET 2009

> Please help me correct an installation problem with this catalog. I installed
> kstars under Kubuntu 8.10 with 'sudo apt-get install kstars' and started it.
> The first interactive window I see is a Startup Wizard. It prompts me
> to "Download Extra Data". I clicked on the first catalog I see and suddenly
> I find I'm stuck (without warning) with a 6-hour download! I cancelled the
> download, hoping to restart it later that night and let it run overnight. But
> I find I can't restart it. The program says it's installed, and I don't get
> any second chance.
>
> So I tried to remove it and make a fresh start:
>    sudo apt-get remove kstars
>    sudo apt-get autoclean
>    sudo rm -rf /usr/share/apps/kstars
>    rm -rf $HOME/.kde/share/apps/kstars
>
> Then I reinstall, expecting see the startup wizard giving me a clean slate and
> a chance to avoid the surprise of a 1.6GB download, but it still shows that
> first catalog is already downloaded!
>
> I checked bugs.kde.org and found #114447. But that site won't let me in for
> reasons I don't understand. That bug says: "...workaround: deleting/changing
> its config file" but doesn't tell me what config file that is. Can you please
> enlighten me on its location(s), so I can clean up the mess your program
> made? Thanks.
>
> And please consider 1)warning users before such large downloads 2)giving users
> a chance to exit such downloads and try again later 3)breaking up such large
> downloads 4)documenting how to clean up such problems. Thanks.

Hi Roland

I wonder if the USNO NOMAD catalog works with older versions of KStars
at all. Could you find out which version you are using?

The file gets downloaded to
$HOME/.kde4/share/apps/kstars/USNO-NOMAD-1e8.dat or something like
that.

The warning about the large file size is there in the text at least as
of now, if not earlier.

We use for this purpose, a tool implemented in KDE called  KNewStuff2
and these problems are more-so related to KNewStuff2 than to KStars
itself, and you should probably try their devel mailing lists.

You should probably be using the bugzilla for these kind of problems
rather than the devel mailing list, though.