[Kstars-devel] Popup menu usability

Akarsh Simha akarshsimha at gmail.com
Fri Feb 13 00:07:48 CET 2009

Hi Alexey,

> Popup menu for bright star:
> | ?? Ursae Minoris
> | Spectral type: F5
> | HD123456
> | Ursa Minor

I'd rather recommend:

Popup menu for bright star:
| ?? Ursae Minoris
|       star
| Spectral type: F5
| HD123456
| Ursa Minor

Where the 'star' here indicates the object type.

> For faint star:
> | star
> | Spectral type: A5
> | HD 26544
> | Cameleopardalis
>
> For very faint star:
> | star
> | Spectral type F?
> | Draco

I guess we do this already. Please correct me if I'm wrong here, and
do let me know what's different here. I'm unable to see your view of
things clearly.

> > Wouldn't that make the menu too broad and tall? I completely agree
> > that these are important parameters and are really useful to have in
> > the menu. We should probably work out some way to make sure that we
> > could display these without bloating up the menu. We could probably
> > reduce the font size for these items, like we do for the Rise, Set and
> > Transit times.
> >
> I don't think so. And definitely not too tall. I don't intent to add any more
> rows. I don't think that info will eat too much screen space.
> It will require some experimentation to determine best variant.
>
> Few examples on how it may look.
>
> | HD 123
> | star, 8.3m, K3
> | Some constellation
>
> | Dumpbell Nebula (M27, NGC6853)
> | Planetary nebula, 7.5m, 8.0'x5.6'
> | Vulpecula

Hmm, nice. I'd like:

| HD 123
| K3 star
| 8.3 mag
| Some constellation

And

| Dumpbell Nebula (M27, NGC6853)
| Planetary nebula
| 7.5mag, 8.0'x5.6'
| Vulpecula

instead. That's a reasonable compromise, IMHO, between putting too
much data in a line and having too many lines.