[Kstars-devel] [X-POST] Question about Coma Diameters of Comets

Akarsh Simha akarshsimha at gmail.com
Sat Feb 7 23:48:39 CET 2009

Hi

Could someone provide me with an approximate relation that gives an
estimate for the diameter of a comet's coma?

I found a relation that gives me the nuclear diameter here:
http://articles.adsabs.harvard.edu/full/gif/1978BAICz..29..103K/0000113.000.html

I need this to calculate comet angular diameters in KStars, to make
the display more realistic.

Cartes du Ciel does display estimated angular diameters, but the
source code reads 'Personal formula based on experience'. I wanted to
know if I could find a more concrete formula.

Any other inputs - like estimates for dust tail / ion tail lengths etc
will be appreciated.

Thanks.