[Kstars-devel] KDE/kdeedu/kstars/kstars

Chusslove Illich caslav.ilic at gmx.net
Fri Aug 28 02:18:20 CEST 2009

> [: Akarsh Simha :]
> SVN commit 1016024 by asimha:
>
> Adding country and region as translation context to city names. This fixes
> (the age old) bug 94741 in trunk.
> [...]
> SVN commit 1016027 by asimha:
>
> Add country name as translation context for region.

This will not work.

The smaller problem is that the extracted messages are now lackluster wrt.
whitespace. For example:

  #: kstars_i18n.cpp:4074
  msgctxt "Region/state in USA (optional, rarely needs a translation)"
  msgid " Alaska"
  msgstr ""

  #: kstars_i18n.cpp:3926
  msgctxt "City in   Zambia (optional, probably does not need a translation)"
  msgid "Lusaka"
  msgstr ""

First message has superfluous leading space in msgid, and the second three
contiguous spaces inside msgctxt. Extraction should be fixed to eliminate
such occurences.

The bigger problem is that, in order for this to work, the code has to
mirror the extraction change. Currently, in geolocation.h, there is the old
code such as this:

  QString translatedProvince() const
  {
      return Province.isEmpty() ? QString()
                                : i18nc("Region/state name (optional, rarely needs a translation)",
                                        Province.toUtf8().data());
  }

The context used here is
"Region/state name (optional, rarely needs a translation)", and not
"Region/state in <a-country> (optional, rarely needs a translation)", which
will make it not find the translation. So the code too should build up and
use more specific contexts, in the exact same way the extraction does.

So far as these things are changed, I really don't see any point for the
"... (optional, rarely needs a translation)" part in context strings, and
would recommend dropping it.

--
Chusslove Illich (Часлав Илић)
Serbian KDE translation team