[Kstars-devel] List of potential GSoC projects

Akarsh Simha akarshsimha at gmail.com
Mon Apr 27 11:14:32 CEST 2009

Hi Jérôme

> About the project "FITS Image Overlay on the sky map", I have started
> working on overlaying FITS images on the sky map in January but I had
> to stop after having thought that my knowledge of the source code was
> insufficient.
>
> The patch attached here is just a test that shows what it might
> resemble.

I took a look at the patch some time back (I forgot to reply to this
mail). The overlay looks really good.

> Of course, the position, rotation and scale of the image printed on the
> sky map are approximative and need to be calculated more accurately. It
> also needs lots of work to handle all types of rules used in FITS files
> to represent world coordinates.

As you say, yes, the orientation is not correctly calculated.

> I will continue to work on this feature but I can not guarantee any good
> results (there is lots of mathematics and other things that I don't
> understand for the moment). So, if a student decide to work on this
> project, I will provide everything I do. I think it could help him.

There isn't any student working on this. I could probably pursue this
during my summer vacation, which begins shortly.

> Note: maybe the reorganization of the sources layout will break my
> patch, in this case, I will wait for Médéric to finish the
> reorganization before regenerate the patch.

I wonder if it did :)