[Kstars-devel] Star data file format

James Bowlin bowlin at mindspring.com
Fri Apr 10 01:41:16 CEST 2009

On Thu April 9 2009, Jan Kotek wrote:
> I would like to use your USNOA database in my program opensource
> program. Do you have documentation for file format? How is area index
> implemented (I know you use HTM)?

Checkout the latest version of KStars via svn and go to the
kdeedu/kstars/kstars/data directory then look at these files:

  README.binfileformat
  tools/README.tools
  tools/Makefile
  tools/binfiletester.c

> And can I download from your FTP mirrors? My program is GPLv2

The tools are released under the GPLv2 so you are free to use them.  I'm
not sure of the license for the NOMAD data (since it is a separate
download) but I think you are free to use it although I'm not certain
of redistribution rights.  For example, it might be restricted to
non-commercial which conflicts with the GPL.

I don't think anyone is going to mind if you grab the NOMAD data from
the KDE site since KDE users and others are free to do so.  If you have
KDE-4 installed the "Get Hot New Stuff" feature makes getting the Nomad
data very easy.  If you don't have KDE-4 installed then you may have to
hunt a little for the correct URL.  I believe the filename is
USNO-NOMAD-1e8-1.0.tar.gz which might help you find it.

If the above info does not suffice, then Akarsh will be the one who can
help you.  But I hope the above will be at least enough to get you
started.

I *think* the tools are general enough so it would not be too difficult
to modify them if you want to use a non-HTM index or if you want to
index at a different level.  The Perl code requires the Perl HTMesh
module.  If you want that you can email me directly.  It is a simple
Perl wrapper around the original HTM C++ library.  I think Perl is
only used to put ascii data into a mySQL database (which is later used
to create the binary files) so it is likely you won't need to use it if
you want to directly use our binary data files.

--
Peace, James