[Kstars-devel] Some more tests

James Bowlin bowlin at mindspring.com
Sun May 25 17:47:23 CEST 2008

On Sun May 25 2008, you wrote:
> Step 1) isn't so clear to me at the moment.  Is it possible to read a
> block of binary data all at once into a struct, [...]

Yes.  Definitely.

> or are we talking  about reading the int32's one at a time?

NO.

> In that case, why do we need a "format" for the binary file?  It's
> simply a list of StarData structs.

They payload is simply a list of StarData structs but we need a header.
For example, we at least need to know how many stars are in the file.
You don't want to have to read the entire file just to get this 32-bit
number.  You always need headers.  I think Akarsh has this under
control.

--
Peace, James