[Kstars-devel] KDE/kdeedu/kstars/kstars

Akarsh Simha akarshsimha at gmail.com
Tue May 20 00:48:34 CEST 2008

Hi Jason,

> By the way, I noticed that if the initial startup position is below
> the horizon, the program quits after showing the main window for a
> fraction of a second.  The quit happens whether you select "Reset
> Position" or "Keep Position" in the warning dialog.
>
> gdb claims that there's no crash, it just "exits normally".  I have no
> idea why it exits.  Anyone want to have a look?  I might not have time
> to give it my attention until later next week...

This bug seems very deep-rooted somewhere. A few observations that I
made:

1. If we do not display the Message Box [comment the KMessageBox
call], the application does not quit after startup, irrespective of
whether we enter the if-block or not.

2. If we comment out guardedDialog->exec() in
KMessageBox::createKMessageBox under
kdelibs/kdeui/dialogs/kmessagebox.cpp, the dialog is not displayed,
and the program doesn't terminate.

3. I couldn't figure out much with GDB, because I couldn't get past
some GLib call that was compiled without symbols - so I couldn't step
after that. Both situations [i.e. initial position below the horizon
and above the horizon] go on smoothly until KStars::datainitFinished()
returns.

4. Could it be some unclean Qt or KDELibs code?

5. Latest kdelibs hasn't helped, although there has been some fix to
kmessagebox.cpp and kdialog.cpp. I'm yet to update Qt and try out.