[Kstars-devel] Google SoC

Akarsh Simha akarshsimha at gmail.com
Tue Mar 25 09:26:25 CET 2008

Hi James,

WOW! The HTM implementation seems to have been a big challenge ^:-)^

How significant is proper motion? Will it affect significantly for
time steps of one year? This can be a real challenge if we want
to load from the disk, as you said. Maybe we could load some of the
very high proper motion stars at initialization itself, so that we
needn't bother about them for a 50,000 year interval?

I think the magnitude problem is easier. Maybe we can permit some data
redundancy and have flat files till about magnitude 5 or 6, for the
unzoomed picture, or maybe have stars to magnitude 6 pre-loaded during
initialization. That way, we will load from the disk only the faint
stars when we zoom in. That, I suppose, will greatly reduce the number
of disk seeks when we zoom out.

Please pardon me if I have blurted out something without understanding
things. I need to go back and look at the htmesh source code sometime
and understand these things.

Regards
Akarsh.