[Kstars-devel] Misaligned images

Akarsh Simha akarshsimha at gmail.com
Thu Jun 19 21:51:31 CEST 2008

Hi

I notice that a good number of images of Messier objects (obtained
using GHNS) are misaligned.

M45 was the most noticably misaligned, with none of the stars drawn by
KStars falling on the corresponding ones on the image. Maia of the
image was falling on the Merope drawn by KStars, so it might misguide
a user.

There are a lot of instances - amounting to about 50% of the Messier
catalog - including M42, M31, M33. I'm trying to compare the starfield
with DSS images etc. and writing down the corrections to be made,
sometimes accompanied with screenshots showing the differences between
the correct orientation and that shown by KStars.

Misalignment of images of galaxies and open clusters have become more
prominent in the GSoC branch, with stars down to mag 12 being
displayed.

I could help sorting these issues out, whenever I take a break from
coding, but I don't know how / where the images are stored. Could
someone help me here?