[Kstars-devel] KStars vs Stellarium - Graphics

Akarsh Simha akarshsimha at gmail.com
Fri Jun 6 15:44:13 CEST 2008

Hi

After I upgraded my RAM, Stellarium finally runs on my system now. I
notice that Stellarium gives a nicer view of the skies, more
graphically appealing. I'm not talking about the local horizon, ground
decorations, texture-mapped milky way etc, but about the way stars are
drawn. I think this should be easy to implement in KStars.

I notice that:

1. Stellarium has a different computation for relating limiting
magnitude to zoom factor. If I point my binoculars to Lyra, I should
probably be seeing more stars than KStars currently shows from a dark
site. I think Stellarium shows far too many stars, but that seems to
look better.

2. Stellarium draws real-coloured stars by drawing a disk proportional
to the size, with fuzzy edges. We have two solid colours, while they
implement some sort of gradual transition. Is this possible to
implement?

I have a hard time locating mag 8.0 stars in KStars when I set the
faint limit to 8.0. Are they drawn with such a small size that they
aren't even seen?