[Kstars-devel] Great minds think alike: AuxInfo Hash

Akarsh Simha akarshsimha at gmail.com
Fri Jun 6 02:25:28 CEST 2008

> It becomes a little tricky to generalize to the AuxInfo hash for unnamed
> stars because (I think) the SkyObject needs to know about the unique
> unnamed star ID.  This means that SkyObject will have to have an int32
> starID field.  This will still save space when we get rid of the five
> fields above.  Maybe there is a better way but this at least gives us
> one way forward that will eventually do everything we want.

I think it is a good idea in the long run to have an ID of some sort
for every object within KStars. Currently, we don't have any way of
uniquely identifying a faint star on KStars between restarts. I think
it is useful in the long run if we have some sort of ID to do this.

Ultimately, we should have a UUID for objects. I propose that we use
catalog numbers wherever we can and cook up numbers where we
can't. Then, we could have a catalog prefix to distinguish between
numbers from different catalogs.

For example, NGC 3 could be

00010000......0011

and IC 3 could be