[Kstars-devel] Loading all star name data into memory in StarComponent::readData

James Bowlin bowlin at mindspring.com
Wed Jun 4 03:53:00 CEST 2008

On Tue June 3 2008, Akarsh Simha wrote:
> I did that, I hope. I did this: (Google gave me that)
>
> su -c 'echo 3 > /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches'
>
> before running most of my timing tests.

Cool.  I didn't know about that.  It's possible that there is still
caching going on inside you hard drives, but it is probably more likely
that Linux is reading enough data from each file when it fills its
buffers to keep the number of seeks between the two files low.

It certainly seems you are right that this is a non-issue.

--
Peace, James