[Kstars-devel] Loading all star name data into memory in StarComponent::readData

James Bowlin bowlin at mindspring.com
Wed Jun 4 03:05:27 CEST 2008

On Tue June 3 2008, Akarsh Simha wrote:
> It seems to make no difference on my system, but will temporarily use
> quite some memory to store the names. Although memory usage is
> negligible, I decided to revert my changes and just keep a patch.

Once either file is cached, no seeks will be needed so you shouldn't see
any difference in timing.  If you have a system monitor running (such
as GKrellm) you might even see that there is no disk activity (if both
files are cached).

To really test this, you would have to clear out your cache before
running the code (both with and without the patch).  One way to clear
the buffer is to cat a very large file to /dev/null.

I'm happy to just leave this be for now.  It is a minor thing that we
can come back to later if it seems important.

--
Peace, James