[Kstars-devel] Binary star data loading accomplished in Branch!

Akarsh Simha akarshsimha at gmail.com
Mon Jun 2 12:45:24 CEST 2008

Hi

It looks like the branch version of KStars is able to load binary
files fairly well.

Right now, I haven't implemented the byte-swapping code, so the
default data files checked out from the branch should work only on
Little Endian systems.

There will obviously be a lot of bugs. I've discovered one so far and
still have to look into the solution. Any pointers will help :)

The bug is that stars close to the equator with -ve declinations are
developing positive declinations and are off from their original
positions by upto a degree. The differences seem to have no
correlation whatsoever, but I'm yet to investigate on that.

Another observation was that the branch version with binary data files
took longer to load than the trunk version with text data files. I
can't reason why this should happen, because I think that string
parsing routines in StarComponent::processStar would be much
slower. It could probably be because of my compile flags /
optimization, but I compiled the trunk with 'debugfull' and branch
with 'Debug', so I don't know. Any reasoning here?

Another reason could be that these time tests were performed in a very
coarse manner, where I started the two processes "together" (by
putting one as sleep 10; ...branch.../kstars and the other as
..trunk.../kstars and then firing the second one ten seconds
late). Probably somebody could do a more professional timing test
which I don't know how to do.