[Kstars-devel] Binary file format for NOMAD

Akarsh Simha akarshsimha at gmail.com
Tue Jul 15 17:33:37 CEST 2008

Hi Jason,

> Everything you suggested sounds good to me.  I do have one question.
> Will all the stars in deepstars.dat use this smaller format?  If so,
> will we lose some information from the TYCHO-2 stars?

No. I think we should try (as much as possible) to freeze
deepstars.dat because we've put it up for download. Tycho-2 has more
information, as you point, and it is better that it stays in the
32-bit structures.

> If the answer to all of the above is yes, then the TYCHO-2 to NOMAD
> transition will set a natural break-point for where to split the data
> when we implement multiple meshes to optimize performance across zoom
> levels.  The TYCHO-2 data would go on a course or medium mesh while the
> NOMAD data would go on fine and extra-fine meshes.

Yes. What I plan is to check for NOMAD, just like how we check for
Tycho-2 deepstars.dat currently. NOMAD could sit in a level-8 mesh
while Tycho-2 remains in a level-5 mesh.