[Kstars-devel] KDE/kdeedu/kstars/kstars/tools

Jason Harris kstars at 30doradus.org
Sat Jul 12 19:19:38 CEST 2008

nice work, Akarsh.

On 7/12/08, Akarsh Simha <akarshsimha at gmail.com> wrote:
> SVN commit 831366 by asimha:
>
> The Conjunction Tool can now handle Stars and Deep Sky Objects in
> addition to Planets for one of the two Objects. Comets and Asteroids
> are still not handled.

It would be really cool if the find dialog for selecting a conjunction
object would only show objects for which a conjunction is possible.
That is, whose positions lie within +- X degrees from the ecliptic.

Since X depends on which planet is selected, we would probably want to
reverse the order of UI controls so the "solar system only" selector
comes first.  That way, when the user opens the Find Dialog, the list
of objects can be filtered properly.

If we do this, we'll probably want to subclass FindDialog so we have a
variant that does the kind of filtering by ecliptic latitude that we
want (i.e., this feature is probably not of interest outside of this
use case).  A subclass would also allow us to show only solar system
objects for the first dialog (it's a combobox now, but when we add
comets/asteroids, it will have to be a find dialog button as well).

Anyway, just some ideas.

regards,