[Kstars-devel] got it!

Jason Harris kstars at 30doradus.org
Fri Jul 11 23:06:34 CEST 2008

Well....bummer.

On Jul 11, 2008, at 1:57 PM, Akarsh Simha wrote:

>> I am now holding 100 million stars in my hands.
>>
>> I'll let you know when I'm done parsing it, Akarsh.

I got Input/output errors when trying to copy two of the five data
files off of the discs.  I'm going to bring the discs home tonight to
see if my home machine's DVD drive has better luck with them.  I also
emailed my contact at USNO to ask if they can make these files
available to me via ftp.

A good illustration of the problem with the "car full of tapes" method
of data transfer: the bandwidth may be unbeatable, but the latency can
be a killer, especially if something goes wrong :)