[Kstars-devel] Index Out-of-Range error in HighPMStarList::reindex

Akarsh Simha akarshsimha at gmail.com
Thu Jul 10 23:50:08 CEST 2008

Hi James,

Thanks for your inputs. Helped me a lot.

> One minor point: I don't quite understand how the binary files could
> have had a different indexing convention from KStars and yet still
> work.  Wouldn't the sky be mostly devoid of stars when the screen was
> zoomed way in?

In the binary files, "N0000" translates to 0, whereas within KStars,
it translates to 256. So I do this ugly "inversion" (Which is: if
number > 256, subtract 256. Else add 256) to translate between the
conventions.

I liked the 'T' and 'B' idea. I think I will nevertheless move to
Trixel IDs in the database, because it might make things faster, which
will be a great boon when we are going to handle larger datasets. I've
made provisions to bump up the HTMesh level already.

I realise that I now know what I'm doing, but I didn't know whether I
should compromise on readability.