[Kstars-devel] Index Out-of-Range error in HighPMStarList::reindex

Akarsh Simha akarshsimha at gmail.com
Thu Jul 10 21:04:33 CEST 2008

> It would be interesting to see what values of RA and Dec are causing an
> index number of 512 to be generated.

Something seems to be wrong. The RA and Dec of the star in question
are:

RA: 01h 16m 00s and Dec: 15° 23' 28"

I tried this with the Perl HTMesh::lookup_id subroutine, and this is
what I get from the Perl script:

HTMesh Level 3 Id: 1007, Name: N3233

Could it possibly be because of an overflow in RA / Dec (i.e. RA / Dec
not in the correct range but something like 24.5 hours instead of 0.5
hours) caused by the PM formula in getIndexCoords() which sets a
double instead of a dms? I'll look into this a little more.

> You could increase the size of the starIndex to work around this problem
> for now.  You would probably also want to increase the size in the
> PolyListIndex constructor as well.

I think I'll try to solve it for a little more time and if I give up,
I'll do this.