[Kstars-devel] [Stellarium-pubdevel] Collaboration between KStars and Stellarium

Matthew Gates matthewg42 at gmail.com
Sun Dec 14 15:51:36 CET 2008

On Sunday 14 December 2008, Akarsh Simha wrote:
> Dear Friends from the Stellarium Team,

Hello KStars team.

> We think a collaboration would be mutually beneficial and could be
> carried out at several levels. The first collaboration that we have
> been able to picturize immediately is in terms of sharing of
> data. This would have several advantages. Our users would not have to
> install twice a similar dataset if they use both softwares. We would
> take advantage of any improvement in the dataset without having to do
> the work twice.
>
> External contributors would be able to contribute new data to both
> softwares simultaneously. If you agree in such a common dataset we can
> then discuss what are the needs of stellarium and kstars.

I agree, there is much to be gained.  Your emphasis on helping third parties
contribute to both projects without having to do their work twice is of
particular interest to me - I am very interested in finding ways to enlarge
the active user community, and I think this can help.

> We could also envision some code sharing. Indeed, right now our code
> bases are largely different.  Maybe we can think of an astrolib - a
> common library using C++ / Qt + eigen2[1] / quaternions to implement
> much of the math that KStars / Stellarium uses - in the near future.
>
> We have already, so to speak, started collaborating after Jérôme
> Sonrier brought in Stellarium's Sky Culture data into KStars.  We
> would like to hear more suggestions regarding ways to collaborate from
> your team. Maybe we should have a common mailing list to discuss such
> stuff?

That sounds like a good idea.  I have taken the liberty of creating a list
called "stellarium-kstars-collab" on sourceforge, under the Stellarium
project.  The sourceforge admin page told me it will take between 6 and 24
hours to complete the process.  I shall post a message when it is ready with
subscription links.

Cheers,
Matthew