[Kstars-devel] Conjunction Tool - Bugs + UI Design

Akarsh Simha akarshsimha at gmail.com
Thu Apr 10 18:45:41 CEST 2008

Hello

I've written a small bit of code to predict 'close' conjunctions
in the apparent positions of any two KSPlanetBase objects. Many thanks
to everyone on this list who helped me out with that.

The code is buggy and I haven't found time over the past few days to
trace the bug. Here's my test code:

http://pastebin.com/m4977ac7d

The debug statements in the attached ksconjunct.cpp output the correct
Julian Day, but wrong RA for the given KSPlanetBase objects. Can
someone help me find out what the bug is?

As I do not know Qt interface design, I would request someone to help
me out by designing a user interface that accepts the following input:

* Two solar system objects (maybe we could start off with planets)
* Start Date for Computation
* End Date for Computation
* Maximum allowable separation between the objects (how 'close' is the
  conjunction?)

The interface should also show the output, which is the map returned
by KSConjunct::findClosestApproach()

Regards
Akarsh.