[Kstars-devel] crash when opening a new window

Jason Harris jharris at 30doradus.org
Mon Sep 24 15:55:29 CEST 2007

Hello,

I'm trying to track down a crash when opening a new KStars window.  I suspect
it may be related to the fact that KStarsData is now a singleton.  I don't
know what happens here (kstars.cpp, line 71):

    kstarsData = KStarsData::Create( this );

when opening a second KStars window.  Does it return the original KStarsData
object, or make a new one, since we are initializing a new KStars object?

Anyway, the crash usually happens immediately, but I've seen one instance
where the splashscreen appeared and made it most of the way through its init
cycle before crashing.  Backtraces show the crash is a segfault in
ColorScheme::colorNamed(), which seems like a pretty odd place for a crash.

My current guess is that the original window's kstarsData object is getting
messed up when initializing the new window's kstarsData.  But that's just a
guess.

Any ideas?

thanks,