[Kstars-devel] Catalogs from Stellarium

Jason Harris kstars at 30doradus.org
Tue Nov 13 17:32:44 CET 2007

Hi Jan,

On Tuesday 13 November 2007 02:32:54 am Jan Kotek wrote:
> Hi,
> Stellarium made  huge progress. Version 0.9.0 can display stars up to
> 18 magnitude. They are using own compilation of NOMAD catalog, it
> should be more precise then USNOA 2.0.
>
> More details at: http://www.stellarium.org/wiki/index.php/Stars

Wow, this looks really great!  We were just talking about strategies for
expanding the number of stars recently.  I would love to be able to use the
Stellarium catalogs directly.  I'll have to take a look at the catalog files.

Unlike stellarium, I believe our strategy will be to avoid reading the entire
catalog into memory at the same time.  We will likely only make fainter stars
available at higher zoom levels, so that we can split the catalogs by
position on the sky, and selectively load the sections that are on-screen.

We need to continue figuring out exactly how this is going to work, and then
start implementing it shortly after the 4.0 release.

Thanks for the heads-up!

regards,
Jason