[Kstars-devel] Some user feedback

Akarsh Simha akarshsimha at gmail.com
Mon May 28 21:26:42 CEST 2007

> Adding more stars is trivial.  I think I even have the kstars-formatted
> Hipparcos catalog down to 12th magnitude on disk.  The problem is adding
> millions of stars without bogging down the program or having ridiculous
> memory requirements.  The way to do it is to selectively load faint stars
> only in the region immediately surrounding the current focus point, and only
> at high zoom.  We had someone working on the infrastructure required to do
> this, but we haven't seen the results.  Let me know if you want to know more
> about it.

I think this is one of the major shortcomings of KStars, which is why
I end up using skychart which doesn't have a friendly interface like
KStars. As far as I can see, this will require a re-ordering of the
Hiparcos catalog data into files with given RA ranges and each file
having stars down to 12th mag. I think this is worth working on. Can
you tell me the details?

Regards,
     Akarsh
http://www.bas.org.in