[Kstars-devel] Almost have the Celestron NexImage Working But...

Edward Eastburn eastburn at inbox.com
Sun Jul 8 07:35:26 CEST 2007

Hello,

I love using the KStars application and showing others that I can easily control my C11 GPS with KStars.  I have been trying to get my Celestron NexImage working with KStars and this is what I have found to date:

First some important info:

Using PCLinuxOS 2007 using all default settings.
CPU is an AMD Opteron(tm) Processor 846 1.6 GHz
memory is 512 Mb

This web cam DOES work.  I can use it with "Kopete" when it is plugged into my Belkin usb hub (taken pictures of a house's roof tiles 1/4 mile down the road through the C11).  In the Kopete-Configure menu the web cam is displayed as an  AME Co. Afina Eye usb.

Checking the /var/log/message file I get the following when the web cam is plugged into my Belkin hub:

Jul  5 14:08:54 localhost kernel: usb 5-7.2: new full speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 17
Jul  5 14:08:54 localhost kernel: usb 5-7.2: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
Jul  5 14:08:56 localhost kernel: pwc: AME Co. Afina Eye USB webcam detected.
Jul  5 14:08:56 localhost kernel: pwc: Registered as /dev/video0.

Now using "Kstars"  I need to tell the program what video port I am using which I thought was /dev/video0 (which is a symbolic link to the file /dev/v4l/video0) but does not work. I always get the message "08T05:31:08 Error: unable to open device".  I did check the permissions and I do have permission to use this file and I can execute the file (/dev/v4l/video0).  In fact I cannot access any web cam (Philips ToUCam or Logitech Express 4000 which did work).  I have tried plugging the cameras directly into the computers usb slots but i still get the same error message.

I have made sure my usb storage device is unplugged when trying all this.

Any suggestions as to what I am might be missing here.

Thanks and thank you for a great application!

Here is some more info I found on the web about the Celestron NexImage camera:

Camera Name:  Afina Eye

Camera Manufacturer:  Sotec

USB Vendor ID:

USB Product ID: