[Kstars-devel] questions re: gathering images

Glenn Becker burningc at sdf.lonestar.org
Sun Jul 1 21:37:45 CEST 2007

Luciano -

I saved this set of instructions of yours from some time ago ...

> which I obtained from the kstars m42 image with these steps:
>
> Convert image to RGB
> Create a mask from a grayscale copy of the image (Layer->Mask->Add Layer Mask)
>> From the layers dialog, select the mask (it should be already selected)
> Adjust color levels, with Tools->Color Tools->Levels
> (I have used the "auto" function to find the minnimum, and set the mask to
> opaque for values above 128, so luminous objects are visible, and the rest of
> the images blends gradually to the background)
> Apply the layer mask from the popup menu in the layers dialog
> Save.

I am trying to apply these steps to the NGC images I have, but there is
one step I think I am not doing correctly: how do you "set the mask opaque
for values above 128"? What I have tried is sliding the white arrow (in
the "Adjust Color Levels" dialogue) in the slider under "Output levels"
down to 128. This makes the image more diaphanous / transparent, but
maybe too much so?

I am attaching a sample of what I have wound up with for NGC 5566. If I am
not interpreting the instructions correctly, let me know (I'm not really
a graphics guy, I admit - the help is much appreciated) & what I should do
instead.

Regards,

Glenn

Glenn Becker - burningc at sdf.lonestar.org