[Kstars-devel] removing the Precession calc module

Shriramana Sharma samjnaa at gmail.com
Tue Feb 27 14:21:34 CET 2007

Jason Harris wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'd like to remove the Precession calculator module, as it's too similar
> to the Apparent coordinates module.
>
> Both modules allow you to enter coordinates for a given epoch, and
> compute the precessed coordinates for a given date/epoch.  The only
> difference is that the Apparent coordinates module takes nutation and
> aberration into account, in addition to precession.
>
> Any comments or objections?

If you want to do this, allow the apparent coordinates module to switch
off nutation and aberration as per user setting using a checkbox.

BTW I would like to see the entire calculator to be separated from
KStars in the sense that I should be able to load just the calculator
without unnecessarily waiting for KStars to start and then having it
occupy memory in the background. KStars can then allow that calculator
to be stars from the menu as it is now.

For example, KSnapshot is a separate application that can be
independently started, but it is also startable from within Krita.

I would like to work on this calculator module to improve it with
respect to the UI, but I am just not getting enough time and bigger
problem is that I don't have a connection to the net at home. If it were
possible to use a distributed SCM for KStars (indeed whole of KDE) like
Mercurial it would be useful. Currently with SVN it is not possible for
me to work on KStars calculator usefully.

Shriramana Sharma.