[Kstars-devel] [patch] improve rendering time for stars by a factor of 20

Jason Harris jharris at 30doradus.org
Mon Dec 24 21:26:06 CET 2007

I'll probably add the patch soon.  I'm first trying to address a regression
that James pointed out:

Now that we're using QPixmaps for the stars, we have the same "wobbling"
problem we had in 3.5.  You can see this by dragging around the sky slowly
and watching as the positions of the stars wobble slightly.  This actually
still happens with the drawEllipse() code, but it's much less obvious.

The problem is not mitigated by activating antialiasing for slew-mode draws.
I'm trying to find a way to force the pixmap to get resampled to the correct
floating-point pixel coordinates, but doing so might take away (some of) the
speed advantage we've found.

Perhaps we can do something like store multiple versions of the pixmap cache,
for stars centered on pixel edges vs. centered on pixel centers.

Maybe I should just commit what we have for now, and worry about the rest for
4.1...

comments?

regards,
Jason